in-trep-id – characterized by resolute fearlessness, fortitude, and endurance

This is my journal of places, people and passions I experience during my drive in the 2004 Dodge Intrepid from New Hamshire to Arizona.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

An Afternoon & Evening in Austin....

Slept in (or really just lounged in bed) as the Mattress and Sheets at the Hilton Garden Inn are AMAZING...Dials on each side of the King to adjust for comfort - Damn I wish I would have bought a King Size for the new Condo in AZ - You can have a Party in a Bed that large!!


Wayne called to invite me out for an Afternoon of playing toursist as he felt compelled to play hooky and join me. I enjoyed the beautiful sunshine out front of the Texas State History Museum and then we wandered the 4 floors of stories and memorabelia. I used to think the Loggining Industry made and destroyed a town (like Berlin) but some of the Photo's of Kilgore TX and the Oil Mining were UGLY... damn (I'm sure it didnt smell any better than a paper mill town!!)


Did you know that Texas is the ONLY state that when joining the Union they did NOT have to give up land to the Federal Government.

This is a MIND BLOWING statistic - The land area of Texas is larger than all of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois combined. It extends 801 miles from north to south and 773 miles from east to west.


We then headed back down Congress St on the "Dillo" Trolley (short for Armadillo) and climbed the steps to the Shiners Saloon for an Original Texas Beer - Shiner's Munich Style...quite refreshing.

Tonight I headed over to the Holiday Inn - Town Lake to meet my buddy Mike Stacy - we worked together in Bedford, I got laid off and he quit a month later. He was in town for some sales training at his new company SHI and I saw his Facebook Status as being in Austin- too cool...... I went for a drink at 7pm and didnt leave till Midnight!!!! Met a bunch of his co-workers from all over North America (Love the Canadian's!!! I'll be visiting Calgary for sure!!) We laughed and told stories (past and present) and left with an almost teary goodbye (from laughter that is).... True Friends will stay with you forever!!!





Goodbye Austin - I'm Soooo coming back to this town!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now raise your right hand (your OTHER right) and repeat after me: "I (your name) (no, YOUR name, not the words "your name") promise that as an honorary Texan, I have:

1. Pride in the Lone Star state;

2. Ability to tell a joke on Texas, and then explain the same joke to an Arkansan;

3. Knowledge that neither Lone Star nor Pearl Beers, not Pace Picante Sauce, nor the Dallas Cowboys are truly Texan anymore;

4. Complete indifference to the car's turn signal. Any car. In fact, if you see a Texan driving with the turn signal blinking, that's because it was blinking when she bought the car.

So help me Willie."

You may now buy a round.